Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Stones of Healing

There are some people in the world through whom creativity and artistic ability flow in abundance. They are able to capture the essence of a moment in a word, a photo, a painting, a piece of jewelry. They have the innate ability to make the intangible, tangible, and they allow us to touch and feel pure beauty in its rawest form. Without question, this ability is a true gift and not possessed by all.

Here is where I introduce you to Cara Laird. A native Tucsonan, a mama to two sweet little boys, and a true artist. Cara's passion for life had lead her to her current endeavor, Stones of Healing, a company which specializes in nursing necklaces and other wellness jewelry. Like so many of us aspire to do, Cara has found a way to live her life's passion through her work. She combines the elements of art, healing, and parenthood in her beautiful jewelry and is sharing them with the world.

It is my pleasure to introduce you all to Cara....

 Tell us about your business...
"I make baby-friendly jewelry for parents, i.e. mommy necklaces or nursing necklaces. I use natural gemstones and raw organic wood for most of my designs, and everything is made in my home in my spare time while I stay at home with my two little boys, ages 1 and 3 years."  
 
What did you do in your past life...before you launched your business?
"I was a social worker. I worked in the mental health industry with high needs children, mostly in the foster care system. It was a rewarding but soul wrenching job."
 
 What made you decide to take the leap into being a business owner?
"I went back to work part time after my first son was born, but found the transition difficult and hated leaving him, pumping, and just all of it! I needed something I could do at home with him, and making jewelry was a long time hobby of mine. I also realized most of my usual jewelry could not stand up to being worn with a baby in tow, hence the baby/mommy friendly aspect of my designs."
 
What has been your greatest professional success to date?
"I did not invent the concept of the mommy or nursing necklace, but I have created some my own totally unique designs that have become extremely popular! Although other shops have copied some of my designs, such as the Stone in Wood nursing necklace, I am proud to be the original designer of such unique and popular concepts. (Imitation = flattery, right? ;))"
 
How about the biggest "lesson learned"?
"I am still learning the lesson of balance, between my home life and family and my business. Working at home can be challenging in that it is ALWAYS there with you, so it is difficult to separate the responsibilities at times."
 
 What is next on the horizon for your business?
"I am always looking for new inspiration. My husband and I are considering several concepts right now to either expand the current business, or to open a totally separate online shop. We enjoy creating and look forward to actualizing some of our newest ideas!"
 
 Where can we find you when you are not being Super Business Owner Woman??
"At library story time, the grocery store, the kid's gym, or just hanging at home with the kiddos, baking something or doing arts and crafts."
 
If we were to run into you at a cocktail party, what would be your "party trick"?
"I am "double" jointed and can bend my fingers backward to touch my arm!"
 
 When someone asks you to tell a joke, what is your "go-to" one-liner?
"I am horrible at jokes, my delivery is BAD! I don't even try anymore. :P"
 
 If you could go back in time, what would you tell your 18 year-old self?
"Being ambitious and hard working is great, but don't get too attached to your Plan - life has other ideas at every turn! Go with the flow and know you'll end up in the best place you can be, even if it's nowhere near where you imagined."
 
Inspired? Want to learn more about Stones of Healing? Check out their website at www.stonesofhealing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...