Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Aimee Martin Consulting


A little while back, I had the pleasure of meeting a woman who is just one of those people. You know, the ones who are brilliant, outgoing, crafty, AND a super mama. Yep, she is one of those....and she is awesome with a capital A! With an eye for the creative and a mind for problem solving, today's Working Girl has put those skills, well, to work, for her quite nicely!

Miss Martin has started not one, but TWO businesses. The first was a creative outlet full of designer baby wares that she created herself to keep stylish mamas stylish.  Along the path on entreprenuership, she developed the second, which is her current professional focus. Aimee Martin Consulting seeks to help other business owners become "known". Troubleshooting marketing woes and navigating the social media matrix for business owners looking to make their break!

Let's allow her to tell you all about it. It is my pleasure to introduce you to Aimee....


Tell us about your business...
"Business & Marketing Problem Solving. While what I do looks a lot like a marketing agency, I don't claim to be one. I act as a problem solver, helping business owners resolve issues and reach new milestones. From simple projects like rewriting/redesigning a brochure, to launching a new product or website, I act as creative director and project manger. Adding creative capital where I can, and finding partners for specialized skill sets as needed."
What did you do in your past life...before you launched your business?
"I was a VP of Marketing for a regional bank. While I enjoyed my co-workers and exposure to the creative people in the marketing industry, banks aren't really known for taking risks, or cutting edge style. I've enjoyed the freedom of working with different brands and tastes."
What made you decide to take the leap into being a business owner?
"Like many businesses, the bank I was with went through a restructuring and downsizing in 2010, it coincided with a case of Shingles, a pregnancy loss and the birth of my first child. It was a stressful, busy, sad and joyous 12 months. I actually didn't decided to start a business. I decided to stay home with my baby. After several months I was fortunate that my growing restlessness at home (love my daughter, but being at home full time doesn't suit all personalities) was met with needs from past contacts. I started getting small freelance offers, and put my toes in the water one project at a time."
What has been your greatest professional success to date?
"Walking away from a business venture. Sounds crazy right? While I was slowing taking on more freelance marketing work, I was also starting a soft goods business, specializing in baby products. From design to materials sourcing and sewing, I was doing it all. I reached out to a consultant to help create logos and improve my sewing, designs etc. My husband and I set aside a small "nest" for me to invest in this business (all funds I had made freelancing). As the nest shrunk, I struggled with what to do. Invest more? Raise capital? Take on investors? I created a pro-forma, talked to patent experts, and amazingly, a family member offered to support the project for partial ownership. But the decision to move forward never seemed right. I sat on it for months. Ultimately, I noticed that my consulting business soared while I put the other project on the back burner. I increased my consulting business by more than 100% over 3 months. Because I wasn't distracted, and I was doing something that relied on my core competencies. It was a hard lesson to learn. But invaluable. Do what you are good at. What comes naturally. It will still require work, discipline, effort (read late nights) but the rewards will be worth it."
How about the biggest "lesson learned"?
"See above!"

What is next on the horizon for your business?
"Maintain...and...balance. I'm working to creating balance between my work and home lives, while also maintaining balance at work between building a pipeline of future work and completing current projects. It is a daily battle. I've spent the last 6 months building a pipeline of business, and I'm very blessed that I wake up each day worried I won't have enough hours in the day to complete my work and home tasks."
Where can we find you when you are not being Super Business Owner Woman??
"The days we are home together, I try to get out of the house with my little one. Some days that means the park or zoo, other days that means visiting neighbors with the wagon or favorite toy of the day in tow."
If we were to run into you at a cocktail party, what would be your "party trick"?
"After 7 years of marriage to an airline employee, I tend to default back to discussions about travel and favorite vacation spots. The opportunities are fewer and farther between than they once were, but a girl can dream...."
When someone asks you to tell a joke, what is your "go-to" one-liner?
"What do John The Baptist and Winnie The Pooh have in common? The same middle name....lame.....eh. It is cuter if you are holding a glass of wine and can give a sheepish smile".
If you could go back in time, what would you tell your 18 year-old self?
"Dump the boy. He just isn't that into you. Turns out, that applies to friends, jobs, clients, etc. Good advice, but hard to learn from the inside out."



Inspired? Want to learn more? Check her out at: aimeedmartin.com

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the love! A few people have asked how we meet, and it is so fitting to tell them I was researching commercial kitchen options for a client and a mutual contact recommended I talk to you about your experience/choice on the matter. We've only meet in person once, but I admire what you are doing and how you are doing it! Cheers - A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straightforwardness will dependably be the key, when making 3D structures. This will offer incredible advantages to your organization and your customer will effectively comprehend your business. logo design service

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...