Monday, March 18, 2013

Facebook Baby Swooning....

Gotta love social media.....not only does it allow you to reconnect with old friends and family who live far away, classmates your never would have thought about ever again (but now kinda secretly love to stalk online), and allow you to still pretend you are somewhat relevant and cool by "Liking" the most popular band and viral dance videos, but it forces you to call into question major life decisions.

Since this blog is primarily a parenting blog, I will give you three guesses what I am referring to....and the first two don't count.

Like puppies and kittens, spring is the season for babies. And everywhere I look on Facebook, there are belly-pic selfies and bright red, squishy faced newborns staring me in the eye. Dead in the eye...as though they are issuing me some sort of challenge.  Like the box of Thin Mints in my freezer, "You know you want one more...." they seem to say. And I melt just a little....even for those newborns that belong to one of the aforementioned "classmates I never would have thought about ever again". Because they are amazing.And even though I will likely never meet them, they make my ovaries hurt. They do...

Funny thing, I NEVER would have considered myself a baby person had you asked me 5 years ago. And then I had one....and that one was so amazing that I (ok, WE...I will give credit where it is due) made another one. And he was perfect too. For sure, I am the only mother in the entire universe with TWO perfect children right?? I mean, come on....

I find myself thought-stalking people I see in public (just realized that is the 2nd time I used the word "stalk" in this post...I promise I am not creepy....).  Wondering how they determined the right family size for them. Thinking about if the mom of two high schoolers ever gets baby fever. Contemplating if the family with 5 kids has room for "just one more." Does every mom really just KNOW when they are "done"?  Did the "big family" across the street just say "To hell with the logistics of it all...let's do this"? I can't help myself, I am a planner by nature...and that includes the next 18 years or so.

Sigh....anyone with me on this? Or am I just completely over-sharing? Eh, perhaps, but I am a pretty transparent person (especially in parenthood) and I have a sneaking suspicion I am not the only mama on here to have this cross their mind. Even if I am , writing an article about it makes me feel like I am not...so there. It's my blog and I will ponder if I want too.....(sticking tongue out here).

Don't get me wrong, I maintain that my family is perfect just the way it is.  Because it is. I have come to know a love like nothing I imagined possible since becoming a mom and I know that whatever we settle on down the road will be just right for us. But in the meantime, all you belly-pic and newborn pic posters, just know that I am lingering a little longer than usual on your photos. (Remember, I am Facebook a stalker after all), and chances are they will trigger yet another round of  "to spawn or not to spawn just one more" swooning in this house. No pressure ya'll. No pressure at all.

I bet Mark Zuckerberg never thought his little project would potentially influence the world population numbers did he? Ahh, gotta love social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...