Monday, July 1, 2013

A shift of the wind...

On days like today, I am once again reminded just how fleeting the time can be.

As most have heard by now, right here in my own backyard, just about 75 miles from my own home,  we lost 19 brave firefighters last night. At the hands of Mother Nature, their lives were taken and the lives of their loved ones will never be the same. Sure, the career itself has its inherent risks, but that surely does not dull the pain that must certainly be felt when that phone call comes.

Patience has never been my strong suite. As I watched my 4 year old daughter today, painstakingly writing a Happy 4th of July card to her grandfather, I felt my self growing impatient. I wanted to take the pencil from her and help her write the words she so desperately wanted to write on her own. And sadly, 24 hours ago, I may have done just that....seems shameful to admit. But this afternoon, it was different.

These moments, the ones that can seem so mundane and so ordinary, are the ones that would be most missed. These glimpses into my everyday world and the moments that I spend with my little ones as they discover their capabilities in this world....they are irreplaceable. And try as I might to preserve them at just the size and deliciousness that they are....these days are fleeting. For 19 families, they have disappeared far too quickly.

To those families, as well as my own, I vow to be more patient. To not long for anything to move more quickly than it should. Time is simply too precious to wish away.

This post is not intended to be a "downer"....although on a dark day like today, it may be easy to confuse. Rather it is an affirmation to myself, and all of you, to do your best to settle in to your everyday moments. They may not all be thoroughly enjoyable and packed with eternal bliss, but they are merely moments. They may be munday, but they are never to be repeated, no matter how routine they may be. Each is tinged with individuality and unique beauty.  And, as we have been reminded once more today, those moments can become mere memories with a simple shift of the winds.

So, take a metaphorical photograph of your "world" today....and then hug each of those creatures in it, just a little bit tighter and a whole lot longer. The moments, they may be fleeting, but the love....now that is enduring.


3 comments:

  1. That is so sad. Life is so precious! I pray the families will feel God presence and help them through their troubled times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so terrible to hear about those firefighters. Tonight on the news they were interviewing the wife of one of the brave men. I realized that I hadn't hugged my husband yet.....such a strong reminder to cherish every moment. Thanks for this touching post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching post! Yes, i have heard, and the story literally brought tears to my eyes. It is sad how it takes something like this to remind me of just how fleeting and precious life really is.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...