Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Place To Grow Childcare

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I have a special place in my heart for today's "Working Girl." You see, when Sweet R was born in 2009, I had to do the agonizing chore that so many new parents must face....selecting a person or place to take care of your most precious accomplishment when you head back to work. Not fun.... We decided that we wanted someone to come into our own home to care for our bundle and so the interviews began....and kept going and going...until we found "her."

Both my husband and I have professional backgrounds that include conducting LOTS of interviews and we both agreed that it was not so much about the answers that were given, but about how the candidate made us feel. In this case, who could we possibly trust as we would ourselves. When Maggie came into our home, after many luke-warm-at-best other interviews, we knew we had our match. The way she cared for and interacted with our daughter...having spent a grand total of only a few minutes with her...left us with no doubts. Thankfully, she liked us too and for the next almost 2 years, Maggie was a part of our family....and still is.

After the birth of her second beautiful baby boy, and our move to Arizona, Maggie decided to make the leap into business ownership and I have to say, I am so very proud of her!!! And I want you all to know about her as well.....

Without further ado, I am honored to introduce you all Miss Maggie....

Tell us about your business...
"We are a small in-home daycare where the primary focus is on play. I feel that through a variety of activities and interacting with others, children can grow in all areas of development. We put more emphasis on sharing, using kind words to express feelings and opinions, and working with others than "main stream" academics. All children will learn math, writing, science, etc. in their own time, but I strongly believe that being properly socialized and obtaining the ability to work well with peers will help them succeed in all areas of life."  
 
 What did you do in your past life...before you launched your business?
"Before opening my own daycare, I worked as a full-time nanny. And I loved it! I enjoyed being apart of the family, watching "my kids" grow and getting to play a major role in their development."
 
What made you decide to take the leap into being a business owner?
"I decided to open my own daycare because I couldn't stand the thought of leaving my kids to go care for someone else's anymore. Yet I still wanted to make a difference in the lives of young children."
 
 What has been your greatest professional success to date?
"Opening the business and having it be successful enough to live a comfortable life has been the greatest success by far! I am not the type of person to jump into something that has such an unpredictable outcome. But its been worth the risk!"
 
 How about the biggest "lesson learned"?
"I am learning daily. When working with children you have to constantly be flexible and willing to change when change is needed. Finding a schedule that works on a daily basis was a trial and error at first, but now have found a routine that works for all ages!"

 What is next on the horizon for your business?
"As the demand for childcare increases, my goal is to open a daycare location that is out of my home and that will be used specifically for childcare."

 
 Where can we find you when you are not being Super Business Owner Woman??
"When I am not working, I spend most of my time out on adventures with my family. Since I am home all day during the week, I like to spend as little time at home on the weekends :)"
 
 If we were to run into you at a cocktail party, what would be your "party trick"?
"Karaoke. Get me warmed up and I can't resist a good belting out 80's song!"

When someone asks you to tell a joke, what is your "go-to" one-liner?
"I have the worst sense of humor and never get jokes! Seriously!"
 
 If you could go back in time, what would you tell your 18 year-old self?
"Be patient and enjoy life. Don't rush to grow up cause there are blessings beyond your wildest dreams waiting ahead for you!"
Inspired? Want to learn more?
Visit "A Place To Grow" at
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...