Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recipe: Tomato Bruschetta

Right about now, I am missing the abundance of my backyard garden in Happy Valley, OR. As it turns out, we didn't realize just how easy gardening up there was until we moved back here to the Valley of the Sun. Eh, I guess everything has its trade offs right? One of the specific things that never ceased to amaze me, was just how many tomatoes one average sized tomato plant could produce....I mean seriously, we have the suckers coming out our ears. I roll my eyes at myself now when I think of all the times I grumbled to myself crankily as I harvested yet another crop of those garnet red beauties....or maybe the grumbling was due to the fact that I was pregnant for a significant chunk of the time we lived up there....but that's neither here nor there.

My long and rambling point here, is that I would give my right arm....well, maybe my left one....for that garden today. Maybe a toe or two also....

And if indeed, that sacrifice came to fruition, this is the recipe I would make...like right now....tonight.....

Fresh Tomato Bruschetta
Mama Chef Extraordinaire: Laylita (www.laylita.com)
 
When to Introduce: These are one for the whole family. Tomatoes are fairly acidic, so you may want to wait until after 12 months to introduce to your little ones. Obviously, a fair amount of steady hand is needed to enjoy these beauties, so if you do share with the toddler/preschool set, expect to have some tomato on the floor....that's what dogs are for right??
 
Why we Love It:  It is just about as fresh and beautiful as a food can be! And it is a light, cool, summer meal that doesn't involve heating up the entire house with your over. Yumminess in it most pure state. 
Ingredients: 
4 cups of cherry tomatoes, heirloom or regular
3-4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed but still whole
2 tbs olive oil
Handful of fresh basil leaves or 2 tsp dried crushed basil
Salt to taste
Lightly toasted bread slices rubbed with garlic and fresh basil/thyme to garnish
 
  1. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size.
  2. Mix the cut cherry tomatoes, the lightly crushed garlic cloves, olive oil, basil and salt in bowl.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, overnight is ideal.
  4. Remove the fresh basil leaves and garlic cloves. Serve on top of lightly toasted bread slices that have been rubbed with a garlic clove. Garnish with fresh basil or thyme.
Servings: This will make about 8 generous appetizer servings.....but why not make it a meal? If you do that, count on about 3-4 servings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...